Friday, January 22, 2010

God is Good

I cant even start to explain the miracles that I have witnessed in the past week. Things that I never thought were possible were done with ease. This has been the trip of a lifetime and a once in a lifetime experience.
As I sit here and write this I am nibbling on a chunk of chocolate that is part of a case of Dutch army rations. I have a sleeping baby on my lap and I am grateful to be here.
I got the call at 4:30pm on friday afternoon from Jean Bell asking if I was willing and prepared to go into Haiti and serve at Gods Littlest Angels. She said "I can give you time to think about it....as long as you only take 5 minutes." Well in 5 minutes I had quit my jobs and began to prepare to go to Haiti. From the little information I was given I knew that I had to be in Miami by Monday at the latest. A team of us would be boarding a charted plane from Miami to Port Au Prince at 6am Tuesday morning. This was about all I knew. So I booked my flight and crossed my fingers. A couple hours after the ticket was booked I received another call from Jean telling me that the people who would be flying us into Haiti did not want to take in any Canadians, citing that it was simply too much paperwork. Jean told me that they would do their best to get us on that flight but ultimately I would be taking a risk at not getting on the plane. I told everyone I knew to pray that this wouldnt be an issue.
So first thing Monday morning I hopped a flight to Miami. I have to tell you that that was by far the most stressful day of travelling I have ever experienced. I was terrified that I was going to have my 70 pound bag of medical supplies taken from me. It was full of syringes and medicine that I didnt even know how to pronounce. I dont think I have ever prayed so much as I did that day.
I had exactly 40 minutes from when I arrived in Toronto to get on the plane for Miami. In this short amount of time I had to find the luggage, push them through one set of security. Take them through customs, walk through the scanners, drop them on the belt to be loaded again, go to the bathroom, get my purse checked, get a full on body pat down and then board my plane. Not to mention that this all happened in the Toronto airport where the line ups are enormous. I am not lying when I say that it was purely an act of God that got me through. Other team members that flew the same route the day before took 3 hours to do that same process. God stopped time for me! That in itself was absolutely amazing.
When I arrived in Miami I was at baggage claim for less than 5 minutes when I heard my name being called. Garner and Michelle Haayema were there to greet me with huge grins and an excitment that radiated from them. Us three Canadians had arrived and we were ready for anything. It wasnt long before I met the rest of my team. A quick bite to eat, sleeping arrangements organized and we were ready for a new day!

1 comment:

  1. Janelle I am Daniel's dad and I am so proud of you. I have given what I can to the red Cross a hundred dollars so far and will try to do more when I can. Everyone I know is standing up for Haiti- canadians have given 67 million so far and the government will match each dollar. I feel devastated when I think about what is going on and what you must face on a daily basis. God loves you girl- keep going for all of us. Bob Nelles- Airdrie

    ReplyDelete