Sunday, February 7, 2010

Streetlights

The entire neighborhood started clapping and shouting for joy. I couldn’t figure it out, was there a soccer game on or something? What was I missing? I followed what some of the children were doing and poked my head over the wall at the Toddler house. For the first time since the earthquake you could see little points of light stretch out for miles. Public electricity had been restored. Something we take for granted had caused this entire neighborhood to dance and sing in pure happiness. We turned and looked at one another and smiles broke out on each and every face. Excitement filled the air! I have been witness to so many little moments that they start to all blend together. That in itself is a shame. I don’t ever want to forget the magic I felt standing on my tip toes smiling at the streetlights.
We have spent days sorting through the various supplies and donations that have come back from the States with us. So far we have created packets for each Haitian staff member of GLA that contains a tarp, a lantern, a hygiene kit, 2 towels, 2 blankets, 2 packets of rice and a tent. We have also taken any excess that we have and created packets for any visitors or families that come to our door. It fills my heart to know that donations are going directly to families that need it instead of sitting in a warehouse somewhere while people continue to live in sheet houses.
I haven’t been down to Port Au Prince since taking the Canadian children home so I cant say if there has been any progress. We have been told that there is a ninety percent chance that Haiti will feel another earthquake larger than a 5.0 so I am not sure if it is statistics like these that continue to prevent people from returning home. Things up in the mountains of Kenscoff feel as though they are slowly returning to normal. Even up at the Baptist Mission the street vendors have put up their paintings and carefully displayed their sculptures although I am not sure how much business they would be getting.
We received a container down at the Ports in Port Au Prince that had been shipped prior to the earthquake. The container was ¼ full of donations for GLA. So a truck was hired and the supplies were picked up. We are full at both the Main House and at the Toddler House and have run completely out of storage space. This left one other option…Ft Jacques.
There is a beautiful piece of property up the mountain in Ft Jacques that has been purchased by Gods Littlest Angels as the future home to the orphanage. This piece of land currently contains a large stone wall that surrounds the property as well as a depot and garage. As money continues to be raised you will eventually see a 3 story building that will allow the main and toddler houses to be combined. This project will take at least one million dollars to complete but I cant even begin to explain what a blessing that would be.
So with this truck en route we climbed into the vehicles and headed up to Ft. Jacques to unload. I don’t think I have ever seen so much baby food, diapers or toilet paper in my life. The truck was full. We received at least 2 pallets stacked with baby food! It was absolutely incredible. To think that this has been in the shipping process for quite a while and was delivered now when it is most needed is amazing. It took 20 of us a couple hours to unload the truck and briefly sort through what was there. Talk about team work. I am not sure what the plan is for distribution but I do know that GLA is ready for any child that comes their way. If only they would start coming….
Thank you to everyone who continues to pray and support Gods Littlest Angels. In bible study this week Yvonne talked about how we have to make a conscious choice. We either choose to live in fear or we choose to live in faith. The staff at GLA I believe has chosen to live in faith. Slowly but surely their hearts are starting to heal and happiness is starting to seep back into their lives. We are an organization that is thankful and amazed at what God can and continues to do.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for writing these blogs Janelle, I know that it is a struggle to get the internet to stay up long enough to post them. You are a terrific writer and I'm very proud of you. Love ya lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, something so simple. Next it will be turn on the tap and flush the toilet.nothing compares to the power of civilization until it isn't there. I agree with mom- you are a good writer. Humbled by poor health myself right now but at least I am dry each night from the rainy season.Better days are coming - it may take years - but better days are coming. Be strong for all of us. Bob Nelles

    ReplyDelete